Feedback and Grading for Schoology Teachers
Feedback and Grading in JoeZooAll of JoeZoo’s assessment tools for feedback and grading are located on one page. When teachers are ready to integrate JoeZoo's automatic assessment features in their assessment workflow and grade assignments in JoeZoo, teachers can use the following steps to visit a student's submission page:
- Scroll down to the Assignment List within the JoeZoo App home page
- Click the Expand icon (arrow pointing down) to show the Submission List
- Click "Assess" to begin assessing a student's submission
- Or click "Review" to re-assess or re-grade a student's submission
For more information about each Assignment Submission Status and the actions to take depending on the status, teachers can visit this resource
Submission Page Navigation
At the top left of the submission page, the icons below will navigate to the following:
This icon will lead to the submission list on the JoeZoo App home page.
This icon allows teachers to navigate to each version of the submission. Each version of a submission will contain its own insights. A new version is created each time a student re-submits an assignment's submission and when a teacher assesses/grades a submission.
This icon allows teachers to refresh the submission, ensuring they are viewing the most up to date version.
This icon allows teachers to navigate to the next available assignment in a single click, so teachers do not have to return to the home page.
Submission InsightsIn the Submission Insights section, teachers can review a student's length goals, readability level, feedback engagement, and feedback initiative. Teachers can access the Submission Insights for any submitted assignment using the following steps:
- Click "Submission Insights" icon at the top right (see image below)
- View the Length, Readability, Feedback Engagement, and Feedback Initiative (descriptions of each assessment feature detailed below)
LengthWhen configuring an assignment in the JoeZoo App, teachers can set a length goal for the number of words, sentences, and/or paragraphs. Within the Submission Insights, teachers can easily check if the student’s work reaches each goal indicated by an upward arrow (over goal), downward arrow (under goal), or checkmark (met goal). If a length goal was not set initially, teachers will see a dash.
The JoeZoo Writing Readability Feature uses the Dale–Chall readability scale to score students’ written work. Teachers will see a grade level range for each submission determined by JoeZoo's assessment intelligence.
JoeZoo tracks each student's feedback engagement per submission version. Feedback engagement is determined by whether a student has opened a feedback comment, read/listened to it, and the time spent on the comment. In this section, teachers will see how many comments the student engaged with and the total time they spent engaging.
JoeZoo tracks each student's feedback initiative per submission. Feedback initiative is determined by whether a student has engaged with a resource link within a comment. Resource links can be added to comments in the Assignment Configuration step, so all students who receive this comment will have access to the resource link. If teachers add the resource link while assessing a student submission, only that individual student will have access to the resource link.
Feedback FeaturesIn the Comments Added section, teachers can review all of the comments they have added along with the comments given by JoeZoo in a list view in the order of appearance. Teachers can access the comment list using the following steps:
- Click "Comments Added" icon at the top right (see image below)
- View the list of comments
- Click a comment to open it within the submission
- Check off the box next to a comment in the list to delete it from the submission
JoeZoo will provide feedback automatically from the Teacher Writing Checker in the form of embed comments directly in student submissions once a submission is received. Embedded comments are available in several assignment formats (MS Word, Google Docs, and the Schoology Text Editor).
Teachers can view a comment using the following steps:
Teachers can choose to omit specific comments when they configure their assignment, so these error comments will never show up when JoeZoo assesses all submissions for a specific assignment.
- Click the highlighted text in the submission
- Click "Close" at the bottom of the comment box after reviewing the comment
If there are comments that teachers would like to omit in an individual student's submission once JoeZoo has already assessed it, teachers can use the following steps:
- Click the highlighted text in the submission
- Click "Remove" so the comment will be removed for both you and the student
Teachers can add, remove, edit feedback comments in the Comment Bank when they configure their assignment, so these comments can be added when assessing any submission for a given assignment. If teachers would like to add their own embedded feedback comments from the Comment Bank, teachers can use the following steps:
- Highlight a piece of text in the submission
- Use the search bar to search your comment set
- Type in a keyword or the first few letters of the comment's name
- Select the comment of your choice
- Edit any of the comment's fields (editing comments within a submission will only apply to this specific student)
- Click "Add" once done
The Peer-to-Peer Plagiarism detection feature will analyze available student submissions for a given assignment and detect any evidence of potential cheating among students. JoeZoo will provide the percentage of flagged text within the submission, the number of submissions compared, and highlight the exact flagged text. Any instance of potential plagiarism will not be visible to students, unlike writing and feedback comments, unless a teacher adds it to the submission.
Teachers can access the Peer-to-Peer detection list using the following steps:
- Click "Peer-to-Peer Plagiarism" icon at the top right (see image below)
- View the list of flagged text
- Click the snippet of text to open the originality comment within the submission
- Click "Add" to make the originality comment visible to the student (optional)
Teachers who have created an assignment on Schoology will have the option to select a scale or rubric and this will be automatically synced to the JoeZoo App for grading. Teachers who have reviewed the automatic feedback provided by the JoeZoo App can then move onto grading the assignment.
To grade within the JoeZoo App, teachers can use the following instructions:
- Click "Assess" to the right of a student's submission status in the Assignment List
- Click anywhere on the rubric bar under the student's name to drop down the scale or rubric
- Select the grade for each criteria
- Click the pencil icon to the right of the "Final Grade" section to leave a comment
- Click "Save" once done
- Click the arrow to the right of the student's name to navigate to the next assignment
When teachers grade an assignment using the JoeZoo App, grades will automatically sync to the Schoology Gradebook. Any grade that was assessed through the JoeZoo App must also be edited through the JoeZoo App. If a grade was entered through the JoeZoo App, but is edited through the Schoology Gradebook, the grade will not reflect in the JoeZoo App for teachers or students.
Teachers can edit an assignment grade at any time in JoeZoo using the following steps:
- Click "Review" to the right of a student's submission status in the Assignment List
- Click anywhere on the rubric bar under the student's name to open the scale or rubric
- Edit the grades, criteria descriptions, and/or final comment
- Click "Save"
For every submission that a teacher grades or regrades within JoeZoo, teachers will see a prompt (bottom right corner) with a calculation of time freed after saving the grade.
Assignments for Schoology Teachers
User: Schoology Teachers Creating Assignments Teachers must have an assignment created in Schoology before using the JoeZoo App to assess student work. To create assignments on Schoology, teachers can refer to this Schoology resource. An assignment ...
Best Practices for Schoology Teachers
User: Schoology Teachers Recommended Workflow Once teachers have read through the User Guide for Schoology Teachers and are ready to start assessing student work with the JoeZoo App, they can follow the steps below to ensure a successful, time-saving ...
User Guide for Schoology Teachers
User: Schoology Teachers Introduction to Guide Welcome to the User Guide for Schoology Teachers. This user guide is designed to provide necessary setup instructions and helpful resources for teachers implementing the JoeZoo App in Schoology for their ...
Feedback for Schoology Students
User: Schoology Students Feedback on JoeZoo Students who would like to engage with feedback from JoeZoo and/or their teacher for a specific submission can use the following steps: Scroll down to the Assignment List within the JoeZoo App Home Page ...
Schoology FAQ: What is JoeZoo?
What is JoeZoo? JoeZoo, a Schoology integrated app for teachers and students in all courses from Grade 3-12, makes teacher, self and peer assessment of low and high-stakes written coursework more engaging for and driven by students, hours faster for ...