In this article we introduce students to the various parts of their Class page and how they can use it to build Essential Learning Skills.
Accessing the Class Page
To access a Class page, students should follow these step:
- Go to JoeZooApp.com and sign in
- Next, click on any Class tile on the Classes page in the app
- If any class tiles are missing, students can look them up
Located at the top of each Class page are 2 tabs:
The 'Dashboard' tab shows students which digital badges they have earned for Essential Learning Skills, and shows them Improvement Tips to help them build those skills.
To Do List
For students to get the most out of JoeZoo, they will want their teacher to complete all of the tasks on the 'To Do List'.
Of greatest importance to students is to make sure they have completed their JoeZoo set up
. To do so, the student simply has to open the JoeZoo Express add-on in their Google Doc app and to input only their age, a requirement for compliance with privacy laws.
Unlike any other classroom assessment app, JoeZoo auto-generates individualized Improvement Tips based on the feedback that teachers give to each student.
These Improvement Tips can be accessed by students, teachers and parents anywhere and at any time, and are automatically generated in both text and audio formats.
To access each Improvement Tip, a student can click on a record and it will open or they can click on the 'speaker' icon to listen to the prompt. Students will be able to see what the comment was, how many times they received it from a teacher and how many spots they will rise in the class if they avoid the issue in future assignments.
To make it easy to track Skills Progress, we have created 6 Skill Badges:
- Self-Editing - the skill of finding and fixing writing errors before handing in your coursework
- Initiative - the skill of making use of resources provided by teachers to better research a topic
- Feedback Engagement - the skill of fully reading or listening to each piece of feedback given by teachers
- Feedback Application - the skill of using teacher feedback to improve the quality of your assignment
- Peer Feedback - the skill of fully reading or listening to each piece of feedback given by fellow students
- Parental Participation - the skill of inviting your parents to view your coursework in JoeZoo
By default each Skill Badge is grey in colour. If you demonstrate a skill in a class, the Skill Badge will become coloured and there will be thumbnail image for each assignment in which you demonstrated that skill.
The more coloured skill badges, the stronger you are for that skill.
The 'Assignments' tab gives parents an easy way to view their child's submission for each Class Assignment, including all of the captured versions of their child's docs and how their child used teacher feedback.